94 Points - Great New Discovery
A great new discovery from the Southern Rhone! One of the top wines of the vintage.
94 Points Robert Parker: "The top wine of the estate, the 2011 Gigondas Lieu Dit is possibly the wine of the vintage in the appellation. A blend of almost all Grenache, aged in 2- to 5-year old small barrels, it comes from a single 2.47-acre-plot that’s located in the steep, higher elevation part of the appellation. Dishing out spectacular aromas and flavors of creamy raspberry, sweet licorice, crushed flowers and incense, this full-bodied, decadent, yet gorgeously fresh 2011 has no hard edges, perfect balance and a seamless, polished profile on the palate. All about fruit and texture at the moment, it should continue to gain complexity with time in bottle, and have 10-12 years or total longevity...Owned by the Brechet family (of Chateau Vaudieu in Chateauneuf du Pape) Domaine des Bouquet covers 75 acres (65 of which are in Gigondas) and is run by the young, yet incredibly talented, Julien Brechet. Philippe Cambie also consults here, and while the style emphasizes fruit and texture, these never lose their southern Rhone style. These are easily some of the top 2011s I was able to taste, and the ‘12s are just as strong. This is an estate that needs to be on every reader’s radar!"
This 26 hectare estate is one of the top Domaines in Gigondas. The winemaker here is Laurent Brechet who displays the same attention to detail and emphasis on quality as he does for the wines he makes at Château de Vaudieu in Châteauneuf du Pape. Located at the south west of the appelation, the ‘Lieu Dit‘ lies on exceptional sandy soils which give the Grenache its fine tannins, airy flavours and wonderful acidity which balances its power so well.
We've scoured the European continent in the search of great buys, tasting through dozens of small-producers and hand-selected our favorites for this mixed case. A great way to try our current red discioveries from France, Italy, Spain and Portugal! 10% discount already built into price.
Each 12-pack includes 2 bottles each of the following wines:
- Domaine des Bousquets 2011 "Le Lieu Dit" Gigondas, France ($49.99) Provence's Grand Cru Bandol from Kermit Lynch
- Pecchenino 2015 Dolcetto di Dogliani 'San Luigi' Italy ($24.99) A fantastic "big red" discovery from Italy
- St Cosme 2011 Cotes du Rhone "Les Deux Albions" France ($24.99) 92 Parker - from one of the Rhone's finest producers
- Quinta do Crasto 2012 Riserva Old Vines Red, Duoro (Portugal) ($39.99) 93 Points - From one of Portugal's top wineries
- Domaine de Bila Haut 2014 "Occultum Lapidem" Cotes du Roussillon-Villages, France ($34.00) 96 Points Parker - awesome Rhone red
- Terrabianca 2011 Campaccio Toscana Rosso, Italy - $29 - 93 point Super Tuscan Best Buy